Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Time Travellers Wife

By Audrey Niffenegger
2004
0-099-46446-4

One of those books that everyone raves about and insists you absolutely must read, I decided to avoid it, and only bought it as part of a bulk-buy at secondhand shop.

It was okay - a love story all out of order, caught between the nice, lineal life of Clare and the scattergun timeline of Henry, who suffers a rare genetic defect that sees him pushed and pulled thru-out his personal timeline.

Timeline stories generally frustrate me or overwhelm me with technical details; this is the first one that I felt comfortable with. Things are more or less told as you need to know as you need to know them, and the bits that are witheld are revealed eventually.

There is humour in this book, mixed in with the love and pain and fear. Altogether, it came out as an okay book, but to be honest I still don't understand the hype surrounding this story.

Date Finished: 02/03/08
Year Total: 8

No comments: