Monday, June 18, 2007

Ubik

Philip K. Dick
1969

Two things drew me to this book: it had rounded edges, which is unusual, and the forward is written by Michael Marshall Smith, who I like.

I haven't read a lot of science fiction, as I don't like plunging into a completely foreign world where I don't know the basic rules. I was expecting this to start strange and foreign, and get worse from there, but it was written in a far more subtle way than that. I was intrigued, but I didn't feel totally lost.

The story progresses at a steady pace, with Joe Chip as the star of the show. When his boss is killed by an attacked from an enemy company, Joe must hold his colleagues together until he can figure out what to do next, but things start to go wrong, and Joe needs to figure out why before anyone else dies.

Date Finished: 11/06/07
Year Total: 15

No comments: