Friday, June 8, 2007

Dark Delicacies

Edited by Del Howison & Jeff Gelb
2005

Seeing as I'm neither a connoisseur of neither horror or short stories, I began this book with trepidation. The only horror I read is Stephen King, who stuffs his tales with so much detail you get lost in it. In these stories, by definition only a handful of pages long, every detail is important somehow, and everything else is stripped away, leaving you with the bare, bloodied bones of the story.

Each story left me feeling uneasy and uncomfortable, although there were no moments when I lost myself enough to feel fright. I'm not sure that wasn't the idea though - fright can be dispelled with the flick of a lightswitch, whereas the uncomfortable feeling settled like the aftertaste of too-greasy food.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed these stories. They were just the literary ad-break I was looking for.

Year Total: 7
Date Finished: 21/03/07

No comments: