Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Neil Gaiman
2013
0062255657

When you're 7, the world is huge, adults are to be trusted, and magic exists in that but-not-really kind of way.

And then all of a sudden you find a hole in your foot and you learn that the world is a much bigger - and smaller - place than you could ever have imagined.

This is the story of a boy who finds himself a new friend and a dreadful new enemy, and how he does his best to stay safe.  It's an interesting tale, but it didn't draw me in the way Gaiman's books usually do.

I couldn't quite find enough sympathy for the young narrator, and was more interested in the rest of the story.  So many things were alluded to that held so much promise, but the main story crowded them out.

This is the first Gaiman book I've read that I haven't quite connected with, and I have a feeling that a re-read in a year or two might yield a different result - once the hype has died down some, and I can read it without expectation.

Date finished: 18.11.13
Rating: 3/5

No comments: