Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Witches of Chiswick

By Robert Rankin

Robert Rankin truly is the master of ridiculously entertaining, hilariously funny tall tales.  In this tale, Will Starling meets The Lad Himself, Huge Rune, and is set the task of solving the impossible, while thwarting the most evil, most encompassing and most devious plot of all time.  All without paying for a single hotel room, and avoiding large killing machines with European accents.

Starling is a bit of a git, and his clashes with Barry were a bit of a mystery to me.  If a sprout lodged in your ear is offering advice, wouldn't you at least pause long enough to listen to his theory, what with him being right in your brain and all?  Although, if it was me, I'd be reaching for a long skewer as well, especially after hearing about Larry and what he got up to inside someone's noggin.

I liked this book; really enjoyed it.  Except for one tiny little niggle.  I'm used to Rankin's characters finishing an adventure with no sense of resolution or purpose, but I don't like that feeling myself, and the final few paragraphs would have had me throwing the book across the room in a sulk, if I hadn't been reading it on a rainy highway several hours from a room in which to throw it.

I suppose that's half the fun though...

Date finished: 22/10/12
Rating:  5 out of 5

No comments: