Saturday, April 5, 2008

Tall, Dark and Cajun

Sandra Hill
2003
0-446-61294-4

I haven't read a trashy romance for years, so I hit this one with a bit of apprehension, expecting something wildly entertaining but not very deep. And that's what I got: the characters were sketched in only as much as they needed to be, and the plot was almost obscured by pages and pages of sexual tension.

The first thing that struck me was the language. Some parts were laugh-out-loud corny ('She stared at him hungrily, as if he were a Whitmans sampler and she was a chocoholic.'), while some of it seemed almost old-fashioned in the language. That said, I was surprised by how entertaining this book actually was. While the ending was already determined, the story itself had enough turns to keep me interested, and the final few pages contained a promise from the author to write the stories of some of the other characters. While I don't think I'll actively hunt them down, I will be taking a closer look at the romance section at the library.

Date Finished: 05/04/08
Year Total: 12

No comments: