Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Mankind: Have A Nice Day

Mick Foley
1999
ISBN 0-06-103101-1

Mankind, in his leather mask and bearing weapons, is one of the biggest fan favourites in the WWE, as well as being one of my favourites. He has a sense of humour alongside his willingness to sacrifice his own body for the entertainment of others, and the back of this book has a partial list of all the injuries he has sustained in his career.

I was interested in this book for two reasons: one, that I'm a fan of Foley, whether he's Cactus Jack, Mankind or Dude Love, and two, I'm as interested in the behind-the-scenes as I am in the show itself. I want to know how it works, and was looking forward to discovering how scripted things actually are.

This book was a surprise, and a good one. Foley is a great writer, injecting a real thread of humour through a story of frustration, determination and celebration. He touched on events that I remember, which seemed to make it more personal, and the photos scattered throughout helped to paint a blood red portrait of an amazing career.

What struck me most was not the self-sacrifice, or the determination to drive thousands of miles to learn how to tackle another wrestler, but a photo plonked into the story with a footnote buried at the end - a bloodied Mick Foley lying on the floor, a towel around his face. Doctors are busy stitching his face up, while his young daughter cheers him up by offering him lollies. That photo made me realise that this is not an extension of the make believe world of feuds and fights, but a real story, about a real guy with real, attainable dreams.

Date Finished: 09/11/07
Year Total: 37

No comments: