Friday, July 27, 2007

Caucasia

Danzy Senna
1998
0 7336 0999 6

A story about race and family in the '70s.

I very nearly gave up within the first 30 pages. The story made me uncomfortable, and I didn't like the tone. I don't live in the kind of racist society that Birdie spent her first years in, so I found it hard to just accept things that were done and said. As Birdie grows up and loses half her family, she makes choices and says things that I couldn't identify with, but although I had no affinity with any of the characters and wasn't too keen on the plot, I kept reading to find out whether or not Birdie was reunited with her sister.

I know this book is part fiction, part autobiography, but the racism themes weaving around the story were foreign to me, making it difficult to get past and concentrate on the story itself.

Date Finished: 26/07/07
Year Total: 22

No comments: